Liebfrauenkirche in Fischerhude

Liebfrauenkirche in Fischerhude

The first sacral building in Fischerhude was consecrated in the year 1195 and it was served by hermits of the Carmelite order from Cologne. At first it was only a small chapel in which the deceased were laid out, before they were buried in the neighboring village of Wilstedt.
In 1494, Bishop Conrad of Verden enlarged the chapel to a suffragan church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, still being served by Carmelite monks, until Reformation took place in Fischerhude in 1567.
After Reformation, and for want of an own Lutheran Pastor, school teachers undertook part of pastoral duties in Fischerhude.
In 1825, the first cemetery was consecrated; in 1841, a parish church was built in place of the chapel and consecrated as Liebfrauenkirche.
The first own Fischerhude Pastor startet his work in 1853.
In 1859, the churchyard was surrounded by 39 tombstones of Fischerhude earliest ancestors repatriated from Wilstedt graveyard.
In 1864, a steeple was built; twenty-two years later in 1886, an apse was added. Its latest renovations were completed during 1987.
Today, in addition to church services, numerous cultural events take place here in particular concerts of various Fischerhude choirs and sacred organ recitals. A Lutheran kindergarten is connected to the parish as well.
to outside view of the churchBach Choraleto overviewremarks on Fischerhude parishcultural events within Liebfrauenkirche