The Mueller family from Fischerhude
Our great-grandfather Dierk Mueller, lived 3/4 hourís walk from Ottersberg at Fischerhude, where he died of typhoid fever in the year 1828.
Our grandfather, Peter Mueller, came to America in 1838, shortly after he had married Anna Schnackenberg.
The young couple was accompanied by his mother Gesche and his brother Johann Heinrich (His brother Cord had come to America the year previous). After a six weeks journey on a sailboat they landed at New Orleans on December 18, 1838.
They remained in New Orleans for three months. Then they were induced to move to Cole Camp, Missouri by David Holsten, who had settled there a few years previous.
They made the trip from New Orleans to St. Louis by boat on the Mississippi River, thence on the Missouri to Boonville, Mo., arriving there in spring of 1839.
By ox-cart they traveled 65 miles over wild prairies to Cole Camp.
Our grandfather and great-grandmother both took up Government land, each 160 acres, and began their home life. Both farms were well located at the edge of timber.
Poverty was the order of the day among those settlers. However, there also were advantages. Missouri timber offered them the finest building material for houses and barns. They were practical people. Bedsteads, tables, chairs and other articles for home use were built by grandfather. The homes were generally built of logs.
To supply the family with wearing apparel was a job assigned chiefly to the mothers. Wool produced by the sheep served to make material for clothing. The wool was washed and then spun into yarn. For dye they used the hull of walnuts or oak bark. After the yarn was dyed it was woven into cloth on the weaving-loom built by grandfather. To produce stockings, socks, mittens, shawls, and caps constituted the familyís knitting project. Father, mother, sons, and daughters would sit around the table in the evening knitting.
The closest towns for shopping were Boonville and Jefferson City, about 65 miles away. Grandfather made trips to one or the other of those shopping centers twice a year with oxen. He took eggs, butter, furs, etc. to the market to buy supplies for the family and neighbors. Such a trip took a whole week.
Our grandparents had five sons and one daughter, viz.: Dietrich, Gesche, Cord, Heinrich, Johann, and Peter. Each of the boys took up 160 acres of Government land when they had reached the required age. Miss Gesche married Claus Brase. He also took up 160 acres of Government land. All four farms bordered.
Thus the grandparents and their children with their families lived close together.
This setup was frequently referred to as the "Mueller Village".
There was no organized congregation when the grandparents settled in Cole Camp. Men who called themselves pastors made their frequent visits among the settlers. To mention one, there was a certain Meyer, a shepherd from Germany, who posed as an independent pastor. He was nicknamed "Schaefer Meyer" (Shepherd Meyer).
Later the Missouri Synod came into the field. The Holy Cross Lutheran congregation was organized; all members of the "Mueller Village" remained faithful members.
© 2017 firstname.lastname@example.org
in memoriam Dr. John Muller, Cisco TX
With friendly support by Neil Heimsoth, Cole Camp MO
and by Homer Ficken, Fort Worth TX
All rights reserved