Fischerhude historyThe unique artists village Fischerhude is situated in the North German lowlands not far away from Bremen City on a narrow flat sand dune within the Wuemme river plains at the western crossing point to the Zeven Geest uplands and at the southern edge of the Teufelsmoor moorlands.
Its countryside is lended by hay meadows reaching up to the horizon and by fertile farmland, and by gallery woods along the watercourses of the Wuemme river, fanning out all the way up to Bremen.
Before the Christian era, Fischerhude was a consolidated landing stage at the Wuemme river, used as a central place of transshipment for goods to and from Bremen eastwards up to Hamburg area. That time this place was called Widagheshude. It was first mentioned documentarily in year 1124 by Pope Calixtus II, who assigning the place to the Rastede monastery as a part of the archdiocese Cologne. In addition, Bishop Giselbert of Bremen determined in 1288, that all transportation on the Wuemme river was allowed to Widagheshude people only.
From 1195 up to Reformation in 1567, in Widagheshude also was a hermitage used by Carmelite monks from Cologne, who also assumed important pastoral duties for the local farmers.
Around 1290, after sending colonists by the Knight of Ritterhude, the place Widagheshude was renamed in Fischerhude, obviously because of the great fish fortune especially on eels in the surrounding water arms. In addition to the transportation monopoly and the fishing fortune, Fischerhude farmers had best meadows in the surrounding pastures and productive hay harvests; and furthermore, they could use the nearby Teufelsmoor for getting wood and peat for free; and between the marshy Teufelsmoor and the wooded Geest hills they had fertile farmland for growing rye and wheat.
In the subsequent centuries, Fischerhude became a very prosperous village; nevertheless, its farmers remained thrifty, God-fearing, and faithful to the Lutheran belief.
In the end of the 19th Century, artists and painters moved to the idyllic Fischerhude, and the place became known as the village of tolerant farmers and open-minded artists.
|© 2017 www.washausen.de